Getting close to lock up

We had a site inspection with our SS this week and it was great to see the progress:

  • Bricks have been cleaned
  • Water tank has been installed
  • Wet areas have been sealed
  • Floor tiles in wet areas have been positioned
  • Cornice has been delivered and should go up soon
  • Doors have been delivered and should be installed soon
  • Downlight holes have been cut from the Gyprock, including four that shouldn’t have been 😮 (an easy fix, so we are told; when the electricians come back they’ll patch the plaster and affix the battens ready for our hallway pendants)
  • Batten fixtures cord is poking through the ceilings in the right places
  • The concreters have been back to recess the sliding doors but they haven’t been able to dig up the slab they laid in the wrong place for our aircon unit – it’s been so wet they haven’t been able to get the bobcat in through the quagmire that is our front yard

SS thought we’d be at lock up by the weekend so we’ll swing by and check it out!

We also got a call from Don’s Tiles. Two of our choices are no longer available so we had to make the trek over to Mitchell to choose some new ones. New concrete/stone look tiles for our front porch were easy to select. We were advised on Monday that our first new choice was available (and slightly cheaper than the original ones we had chosen). Despite the energetic, helpful and polite assistance from the tile rep, we didn’t have much luck with the tiles for our en suite feature wall (back wall of the shower). We had to pick three new choices as they couldn’t tell us what was in stock/able to be ordered and, to our disappointment, we found out on the following Monday that neither the first two of our choices were available or could be ordered and that our third selection was the only one available – naturally it cost more than our original selection and naturally we picked freaking Carrara marble. It had better look awesome!

So, a general comment: it is 2016. Online stocking systems have been around for more than 20 years. It befuddles us completely that a flooring company holds stock in its showroom that it can’t get. If they can’t get them in, why is the tile still on display? We provided feedback to the SS, as this episode left a slightly sour taste in our mouths; we felt like Don’s Tiles was letting Rawson (and us) down.

We also learned that the Laminex colour we selected for our main kitchen was no longer available. This was a real bummer, as it was a lovely petrol blue and would have complemented the chocolate tones of the bamboo floor and contrasted beautifully with our white Caesarstone benchtops. Fortunately, Polytec now manufactures a ‘woodgrain’ look blue that is close to our original colour selection (a little brighter, perhaps, but given how dark our kitchen is, probably not a bad thing…we will probably need to install a sunlight/diffuser but that will have to wait). So we have gone with Aegean Oak with Ravine finish for the kitchen. This cost us an extra $1k, but we are at that stage in the build that we have spent so much money what’s another thousand? (I die a little every time I say that but they don’t call houses money pits for nothing…)

Anyway, if that’s the worst of it, we will have gotten off lightly with our build. Let’s hope the mudpit that surrounds our house doesn’t cause too many delays. We are still on track for handover late Sep/early Oct.

New photos.

IMG_0018_edited

A big bunch of something (architraves?) in our dining room and family room

IMG_0019_edited

Charcoal tiles for the laundry and the extra storage room we snuck into our modified plans

IMG_0020_edited

Kitchen looking through the family room to the kids’ rumpus

IMG_0021_edited

Hallway (with bonus holes!) looking back to the front door (should be on soon!)

IMG_1557_edited

Our ‘new’ en suite bathroom feature tile. Our fourth choice. Next time I’d exclude feature tiles from the contract and get it done separately so we could work with a company who could guarantee their supply. This marble mosaic had better look good!

IMG_1558_edited

Not new, but it’s nice to see a sample of our bamboo flooring again. In a few more weeks we should see if this choice pays off!

IMG_1565_edited

Our gigantic front door. It’s a timber veneer, but will be painted neon. We’ll be known as the house with the fluoro door 😉

IMG_1567_edited

Our internal doors ready for painting and fitting. They’ll all be painted black.

IMG_1572_edited

Ahoy there! We have a water tank 😀

IMG_1573_edited

Very nice. The Deep Ocean colour works perfectly with the Espresso bricks.

 

 

Advertisements

Silver linings

Well, the house build is powering along. We swung by the block today to find the plasterer hard at work. He was happy for us to have a squiz at progress. How awesome is it to see the inside starting to take shape? All the wiring, plumbing, insulation is in and now we are getting a real feel for the size of the house. It’s going to be a wonderful house to live in. Can’t wait! Guess I’ll have to though. We are looking at handover some time around the end of September. Bang on target. Let’s hope the build continues to progress as smoothly as it has done for the past three months.
image_9_edited The front of the house is looking very house-like!

image_8_edited The hallway from the front door looking out to the al fresco area at the back

image1_edited Master bedroom

image_1_edited Master bedroom en suite

image_2_editedThe study

image_4_edited Looking from the garage into the small hallway, with my sewing room/spare bedroom on the left

image_5_edited Family room looking into the kids’ rumpus room

image_6_edited The kitchen!

image_7_edited The al fresco area looking into the dining room (with a niche for our buffet/sideboard)

image_3_edited Aaaand, the garage!

So happy 🙂