I drove past ‘the block’ tonight, not expecting to see any change and voila! Change! Big piles of dirt, gravel, two diggers (at rest), piping, trenches dug, sprayed lines on dirt. Yes, we have progress! Foundations for the slab, which means slab soon! The other side of Easter, but it’s very exciting! (Hence all the exclamation marks)
Sorry about the blurry image. I was in a hurry and took it from inside my car. Not such a flash photographer 😉
This week’s update brings you some pegs. Pegs is good, right?
Not really. We think they are pegs from the demolition guys, who have marked out the location of services (water and electricity). They are definitely not slab marking pegs. Sob.
Well, no surprises to hear that our build is proceeding at the same glacial pace as our pre-construction. Good thing we are remaining Zen and treating each new development as a pleasure. There are three short weeks in a row between now and after Easter, so things will likely remain hit and miss for a while. But if we are not well underway on the other side of Easter, we’ll need to start asking Rawson what is going on, as their communication has been less than impressive up till now. When you’re listed as a ‘February start’ and it’s half-way through March, you’re entitled to query progress. Am I right?
Well, I’ve just experienced that very strange joy shared by most home builders: the arrival on site of a portaloo! And fencing!
We also had first contact from our site supervisor, who expects the demolition and site clearance to happen in the next week or so. Hooray!
More arcane processes between bank and builder means we didn’t quite get underway this week, but the demolition has been ordered and so have the site fences.
We’re off to the house today to collect a few things we need to keep, like the rubbish bins, and to have one last look at the ‘before’.
We can’t wait for this project to be underway. It’s been more than 12 months in the planning stage, so we are more than ready to go. Still hopeful for a June handover, but given how long the pre-build stage has taken, we are not holding our breath or making any definite plans!
Well, after a three-month delay, we are just about to commence the ‘build’ stage of our new home odyssey. The bank baulked at the total cost of the build so we had to made a ‘contribution’ (meaning top up the loan).
Fortunately we had already sold a property and it settled last week. With our contribution now made, the builders are just waiting for the green flag from the bank and we will be underway. First up, demolition of the old house, which should happen in the first week of Feb, pending weather and demolition crew availability.
Hopefully we’ll in by June. Fingers crossed?
“It just came from nowhere”
“There were trees there one minute, none the next”
“Holy cow, that fence really was only held up by the vegetation!”
Yes, dear readers, it’s true, Hurricane Metford has been through our block, wreaking havoc and destruction. We received permission from the ACT Government to remove three large trees from our property and one large tree from our verge. Engaging an arborist, we decided to remove all of the shrubs and small trees from the property too, in preparation for demolition of the old house and for building works to get underway before Christmas.
Well, the arborists didn’t muck around! In one day they have taken down the four large trees, all of the small the trees and most of the shrubs. They’ll be back to take out all the stumps next. We visited the block yesterday and couldn’t believe the difference!
It really does look like a cyclone/hurricane/tornado has been through. The yard looks much bigger, which is good, because the house will take up a good part of the land. The hold house looks very sad and dejected now that it’s not obscured by vegetation. Looking forward to that coming down too. One of our shared fences is barely erect. It was held up by the shrubs on our side. I dropped letters in the mailboxes of our neighbours a week ago to warn them that works were starting soon. I also warned out the owner of the investment property next to us that we would need to talk fencing soon. Good thing I did!
The build is still a little way off: we haven’t finalised the kitchen drawings yet. The kitchen company, Elba, is struggling to keep up with demand and we are awaiting revised drawings before we can finalise all variations and get the contract approved by the bank. Slowly, slowly, slowly. Sadly, the delays mean we have missed the slot for a November start, so it looks like we’ll be a December start. This means it’s touch and go whether we’ll have a slab down before Christmas.
We will really appreciate this house when it’s built!